Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Review: Simple Country Wisdom: 501 Old-Fashioned Ideas to Simplify Your Life, Susan Waggoner. Hearst Books, 2009

Country Living Simple Country Wisdom: 501 Old-Fashioned Ideas to Simplify Your LifeI can't believe how beautiful this book is! It's full of warm, welcoming pictures, has thick glossy paper, and a lovely font. Even the size and feel of the book is aesthetically pleasing. I can't describe why, exactly, but the book just feels good in my hands. It even smells good! Every time I sat down with this book, I felt filled with a warm, pleasant feeling. Even just looking at the cover makes me smile.

Oh, I also found plenty of helpful tips inside. The book is set up by topic, and each topic contains short household hints, usually about one paragraph. I found the section on natural pest control particularly interesting, since I'm about to expand my garden in an attempt to grow lots of vegetables. There are plenty of other great topics too: laundry, cleaning, clutter control, cooking, etc. My only trouble with the book is the phrase "old-fashioned, " which occurs the title. I expected to find the type of tips my grandma, or my great-grandma would have given me about running a household. However, the book sticks primarily to modern tips. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- it just wasn't what I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment