Monday, January 23, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Since I'm reading several different books, I'm still working my way through the books on my list from last week. I also read another book yesterday, though: Antigone, by Sophocles. I had to read this play for a class I teach. I love how Greek tragedies are able to make me think deeply about my life and about the world that I live in, so I try to get my students to connect the text with modern life. To that end, I've come up with a list of questions for the text, and I use these as springboards for talking about current issues: 

-What can we learn from Antigone about how to govern well? In what ways does Kreon govern well? In what ways does he not govern well? What mistakes does he make in governing his kingdom?



-How does Antigone participate in nonviolent resistance? Are the laws she breaks unjust? Would MLK approve/support her resistance? Is her cause in any way important to the community? Or is her cause more private/personal?



-How much of Antigone’s disobedience/protest is for religious reasons? How much of MLK’s protest is for religious reasons? Is it okay to stand up to the government/to break laws for religious reasons?



-Who is a better citizen? Antigone, for breaking the law? Or Ismene, for obeying it?

Click here to participate in It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

1 comment:

  1. How did it go? I was always surprised by how well Greek tragedy works in the classroom, despite its attitudes that you might expect to seem alien to most contemporary American university students. When I was at Valpo, Alcestis was one of our best weeks.

    ReplyDelete