Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Review: Homeschooling: A Family's Journey, Gregory and Martine Millman. Penguin, 2008.

Homeschooling: A Family's JourneyIf you're new to homeschooling, thinking about homeschooling, or just want to know more about it, this book is a good place to start. This is a solid introduction to the phenomenon of homeschooling and includes topics such as reasons to homeschool, education through travel, homeschool groups, and getting into college.

There's lots of good advice here, and plenty of statistics to support the success of homeschooling, which is always helpful if you need to convince any skeptics. However, I can't say this book falls anywhere near the top of my favorite books on homeschooling. The writing style is so dry and boring that I nearly gave up on the book on numerous occasions. And the authors fail to discuss different methods of homeschooling, which to me seems like critical information. Also, I find the subtitle "A Family's Journey" somewhat misleading: although the authors talk a bit about their own family's experiences, most of the book discusses homeschooling in a more general way. That was a disappointment. As a homeschooler myself, I enjoy hearing how other families approach it.

For a more interesting and well-written book on homeschooling, try my favorite, Family Matters, by David Guterson. The author is now a well known novelist.

No comments:

Post a Comment