Sunday, January 3, 2010

Review: A Homemade Life, by Molly Wizenberg. Simon & Schuster, 2009.

A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen TableThis book made me hungry! There are so many delicious-sounding recipes in here, everything from a simple French Toast, to the more gourmet Bouchons Au Thon, a tuna mixture baked in muffin cups. I haven't tried to recreate the recipes in my kitchen yet, but just reading the ingredients and directions made me drool. And every recipe is paired with an autobiographical essay. Together the essays form a memoir of the author's life, with a food slant of course.

The prose in A Homemade Life is personable and at times funny, as in this description of using oil for cooking French Toast, "the key, and I learned this the hard way, is that you can't pussyfoot around when it comes to the amount of oil. This is not time to worry about calories. It's time to upend the bottle and pour. A glug will not do." At other times there's a lovely emotional poignancy, particularly when Wizenberg writes about her father's death from cancer, and about her memories of him. Wizenberg is one of those lucky bloggers whose blog turned into a book contract, and I was pleased that the writing in A Homemade Life is of true quality. The book is well organized and reads like a book, rather than a blog.

After reading the book, if you want more, visit her blog, Orangette. It looks like she still writes on it regularly.

Okay, just writing about this book has made me hungry so I'm off to get a snack. I'll let you know how some of the recipes from the book turn out, once I've tried them.

No comments:

Post a Comment